Tuesday, April 10, 2007

grandparents

my mom wrote today, in her web journal, about a memory she had of making cookies with her her mother-in-law, which would be my grandmother. it got me to thinking about my grandparents and some of the memories i have of them.

what makes our grandparents so memorable? why are the memories we have of them so special? of course, i'm going to generalize here because i know not everyone has good memories of their grandparents. some may not have any at all. so i guess i'll just speak from my own experience.

i have a lot of fond memories of the times i spent with my grandparents as a child. going to visit g-ma and g-pa was like taking a mini-vacation. it was getting away from home and going someplace fun, yet comfortable. it was getting away from the daily routine and whatever "issues" were going on at home. they usually had some kind of activity or event to take part in. or, atleast, they would try to make your visit fun. and they did their fair share of spoiling me and my siblings.

and yet, there's still something special about grandparents that i can't seem to find the words for. part of it, but not all, is the unconditional love that is impossible to paint with mere words. so i guess i'll just have to leave it at that.

then i was thinking, "why did my grandparents treat us this way? why did they spoil us? why did they want to spend time with us?" i started thinking about the future - when my kids will have their own children and i will be the grandma. how will i feel about my grandchildren?

i realized that i can't wait until i have grandchildren. i can't wait to spoil them and take them to fun places and make special memories. why? because they will be my family. because i will love them just like my own children. and then it hit me... this must be some of the same feelings my own grandparents had. that's why they wanted to spend time with us. that makes my heart smile :D

What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies. ~Rudolph Giuliani


***************
link of the day:
http://www.theinterviewwithgod.com/

4 comments:

Ole Dad said...

Wow, what memories! And what a heritage you have displayed with those memories. When your kids show such great expressions of love and remembrance, their parent well up with pride and happiness. Thanks, D, for your thoughts and anticipations of when you'll one day be a grandma. And you know what that makes me, don't you? I'll be a great-grandpa. Fantastic!

Short Stop said...

I LOVE this post. I'm SO glad you posted it on this meme today. It is indeed really hard to put into words the relationship we have with our grandparents. I loved mine so much...and miss them terribly. They just made us feel so loved and wanted and special...I'll never forget the times I shared with them!

Pen of Jen said...

You hit why I look forward to my grandchildren...

This is an excellent post. I had little time with my grandparents, but look back and have precious memories like you described. I took for granted that I was safe,and could be me...and was snuggle hugged all the time:)

This is a wonderful post that you should most certainly put in a family book for the children and grandchildren!

Susan said...

It is truly one of the joys of life!!!
Susan