Sunday, September 2, 2007

round up your containers

There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!
-Romans 5:3-5 the Message

This is the scripture that touched me this week. I usually read from my NIV Bible or New Living Translation. But when I feel God speaking to me, I'll read the piece of scripture from some other translations, one of my favorites being the Message. I like the part that says we can't round up enough containers to hold everything He generously give us. How could you not feel hopeful after reading that?

***************
link of the day:
http://www.needhim.org/

9 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

I am in awe with this thought! I am going to spend my day thinking and looking at things we use as storage and smile!!
Thank you!
Jennifer

Short Stop said...

I just love, love, love this! I often turn to the Message when I want a fresh perspective on a passage I've read over and over. I had never read this one, and it speaks volumes to me. I love "we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us..." I want that passionate patience!

Thank you for sharing this! I am so thankful for your heart for God...it is such an encouragement to me!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Diana,

Great verse to meditate on tonight. I love the Message. I just bought a side by side NIV and Message bible and it is wonderful to be able to see the both together as I read His Word. Thank you for sharing what moved you today.

Family W said...

What a great thought to go to bed with. Thank you so much for sharing this! :)

Susan said...

How indeed, Diana!!
Susan

Melissa said...

It amazing how God fills us up. Sometimes He fills us up even though we feel like He is emptying us out. It's all about perspective. It's a good thing that His is perfect ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this scripture, your thought. I so needed to read this today.

Lori said...

Very inspiring post. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for sharing the Romans passage.

barbara said...

I love the passage you shared. How little we keep God sometimes.

How I need that passionate patience.