Monday, September 24, 2007

big city living

==========

If you didn't read my post yesterday, I would appreciate you doing so and giving me your opinion on an idea I've been playing around with. Thank you.

==========

I saw the new Jodie Foster movie, The Brave One, this last weekend. I really liked it. It's a little violent, so it's not for everyone, but if you can deal with that, it's an excellent movie. It's my opinion that Jodie Foster is one of the best actresses of our time. It would be my guess that she'll get an Academy Award nomination for her role in this movie.

Anyways, the movie has sparked, once again, my curiosity of what it would be like to live in a city. And what I mean by "in a city," I mean urban living, downtown, inner city.

There has always been a part of me that is attracted to that kind of living. Whenever we go to downtown Denver, for whatever reason, I can't help but observe and wonder about what it would be like to live there. I look up the lofts and fantasize what it would be like to live in one. I think there's an energy to the city that I would thrive on. At least part of me does.

The other part knows I enjoy living in a house, with a garage and a yard and a dog. I like having a quieter life that you have living in the suburbs or out in the country. I know I feel safer living where I do.

And yet, I still wonder what it would be like living in a big city environment. And until I do, I will always have this yearning to know what it's like.

***************
link of the day:
http://www.jpgmag.com/stories/1299

8 comments:

Susan said...

I've had the same thoughts, Diana!
Susan

Lori said...

I too feel more safe living where I do...in a small town.

Melissa said...

I too have wondered about this... but there is no way I could get hubby to move into a big city. And since I wouldn't want to live inner city by myself... I'll stay where I'm at :)

Wil's Wheels said...

I've lived inner city, I've lived in suburbs, I've lived in the secluded mountains and now back in a suburb. I dearly miss my mountains.

About WE, jump in anytime you feel. It's not meant to feel like drudgery or a chore, but a few minutes here and there to rediscover yourself. No pressure, but remember to think of yourself now and then. :)

Lynne said...

I live in a small city (my family teases me saying it's the 'hood!). For some unknown reason I'm also drawn to the urban thing. Although I live in a single family home, this area does have an urban feel to it because it is densely populated. I like the convenience of having many things within walking distance including the bus and train to NYC. There's a large downtown shopping area, a nice waterfront, and lots of restaurants and churches. There are a lot of things to see and do nearby.

Here are some of the cons:

Lack of parking on the streets.

Crime-my home has been broken into and it is generally not safe to walk alone after dark. (I always take my dog with me)

It can be pretty noisy at times.

My car insurance premiums are high.

In my 'hood, many of my neighbors are renters and they typically don't stay here very long, so you really don't get to develop close friendships with them.

There are gangs here.

There's the laundry thing-I have my own washer and dryer but many city dwellers don't which means going to the laundromat.

I'm making it sound pretty awful, but it really isn't. I actually like it here. I grew up in suburbia and I was always bored out of my mind. There is never a dull moment here!

Anonymous said...

I live in such a little community and I love it. My kids live right outside of Dallas and everytime we go visit we come home thankful that we do not live there. I guess it's a good thing we are not all alike. The big city is NOT for me.

Anonymous said...

There's a certain energy in a big inner city that draws some of us. It would be fun to try it for a while.

Jane lived in a darling condo in downtown Chicago. It was fun visiting her there, walking everywhere, watching people etc.

barb

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Just had to comment on the Brave One. It WAS great, wasn't it? I really enjoyed that movie. There is just something about Jodie Foster's voice in that that is mesmerizing. I loved the entire film, though it was hard to watch in parts. Excellent movie - glad you liked it too.

I also share your feelings for the like of both city and country life. I live in suburbia, but in a small town. I often think of what it would be like to live in a loft....or in a big urban city...but I do like my little house with its yard and flowers, etc.