Friday, September 7, 2007

class rings

I haven't done a Show & Tell for a couple of weeks. It feels good to be back to Kelli's Show & Tell Friday. Visit her blog for a list of links to others who are sharing this week.

This week Jake and I were perusing a class ring catalog in search for the one he wanted to order. There really aren't too many choices for the guys and he wasn't sure there were any he liked. I pointed out one that I liked, listed under the heritage category, and told him it looked like the class rings from decades ago. In fact, his grandparent's rings looked like the ones shown.

I then remembered that I was in possession of my parent's class rings (as well as their wedding rings - they divorced some time ago). After retrieving them, I showed them to Jake. I think he found them interesting - in a historical sense. He also decided he liked the design of the older rings, and has since ordered himself one that will look very similar to his grandfather's.

Here is my dad's and mom's high school class rings. They went to different high schools but in the same city. My dad graduated in 1953, four years prior to my mom. They met in their church's youth group. My dad's ring still has yarn wound around it which was done so it would fit my mom's finger so that she could wear it.


I like the look of the older rings. I don't believe I had all the choices that are available for students now. And I didn't like the look of the one or two rings I had to choose from, so I didn't buy one. I am glad my two kids will own rings that represents their time in high school.

***************
link of the day:
http://www.mrpicassohead.com/create.html

12 comments:

Kelli said...

Those are beautiful keepsakes, Diana!!!

barbara said...

wow - what a great blog!!! It was such fun to see the two rings together - and yarn on your dad's.
Thanks for the show-n-tell.

I'll look forward to see the ring Jake chooses.

Melissa said...

What a great thing for you to have! Such a fantastic keep sake... I'm not even sure if my parents have class rings! How terrible is that?

Lori said...

Oh my gosh that is so neat.

That brings back memories. I haven't had my class ring out in years. Makes me want to go search for it.
HMMN! I wonder where it is? I'm sure it is in one of my jewelry boxes.

Cathy said...

Beautiful rings! I love the older ones the best too. I don't have my class ring any or my class key any longer, so these are great heirlooms.

Cathy :)

Susan said...

Wow those are so handsome. I'm happy he made a choice of one like that. I well remember us putting string on the back of our "guys" rings......also we worn them around our neck on a chain. Memories!!
Susan

Lynne said...

Those are beautiful rings. The old styles were so pretty. I still have mine, but it's one of those chunky types.

Anonymous said...

cool. Makes me want to go and dig mine out...

Anonymous said...

The old style rings were so great! I hated mine and my girls didn't even care if they had one. I think only my oldest daughter ordered one. Mine was so ugly that it looked like a guys ring. Your parents are a great keep sake. I, too, love the yarn around the back of the ring. Dave never had one, but he did wear mine. What a fun memory for me.

Pear tree cottage! said...

Hello Diana, they are stunning and a lovely "keepsake" I am sure your son will wear his proudly as the years go along.

I will admit sadly we do not have class rings here in Australia but it would be a lovely idear to have always the memory of those years in a ring.

Your show and tell is very special.

Lee-ann

Anonymous said...

Beautiful rings, great treasures. I love that the yarn is still on your dad's ring from their going-steady days. Wonderful memories and heirlooms to keep and share with your children.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for stopping by to visit me recently. I love Show & Tell! I think I am going to bring it back for my 8th graders to do in school. That won't be too cheesy, right?