Saturday, September 1, 2007

princess diana

Amber, over at Crazy Bloggin' Canuck, wrote a nice post on her thoughts about Princess Diana and finished it asking the reader where they were when they heard that Princess Diana had died. I've actually been thinking about the world's favorite princess a lot while seeing all the media coverage on the 10th anniversary of her death.

I always had a fondness for Lady Di. Part of it was that we shared the same name. Another was that Don and I were married the same year as she and Charles, which was 1981. Another was the fact that she was a real live princess, the dream of every little girl. And yet another is that she ended up becoming a woman of substance and one that I admired for so many reasons.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard of her death. Our family was on our annual Labor Day church camping trip (I'll have to write about that some other time). Someone that came up for the day broke the news to us. I remember just standing their in disbelief. I felt numb for the rest of the day. I arrived home the next day still feeling numb and feeling that the world had lost a great person.

Sometimes, it's hard to believe that 10 years has passed. It's been hard to watch all the controversies and conspiracy theories and the tattle tale books. Sometimes it's hard to remember her smile and numerous humanitarian acts. It's hard to think about how much more good she would have brought to the world had she lived.

So, I'll ask you the same as Amber asked; where were you when you heard the news? And if you want to share; what are your feelings regarding the late Princess Diana?

***************
link of the day:
http://www.time.com/time/daily/special/diana/

8 comments:

Family W said...

I love the new blog look! :)

Melissa said...

I answered on Amber's blog too... I don't remember where I was when she died. Hubby and I were dating at that time and I could tell you lots about that... :S I felt so sad for her. She had seemed happy again. There was a long stretch of her life where she just looked sad.

Amber said...

I was in my living room and heard it on the news.

I have to say, I know it was a tragic incident, but the media focused so much on her and so little on Mother Theresa.

God Bless,
Amber

PS~ I think I forgot to compliment you on your new blog look the other day...sorry:( It looks FANTASTIC!!! you did a GREAT job!!!

Susan said...

We were returning from our 6 month trip to Alaska (when my husband retired) and had stopped in Reno/Sparks, Nevada for a Chili Cook-off Festival. I was going to bed and turned on the TV and the news bulletin came on. It was total shock.
Susan

Susan said...

Diana, I just tagged you!
Susan

MorningSong said...

She was truly a woman to be remembered! I remember my husband had almost celebrated 1 month of marriage. It was such a shock!! I was a Diana fan too!

Good luck on the Go Figure challenge! I know you can do it! It is going to be a big change for me, even if it is a small step! :)

Blessings!

MightyMom said...

I have to say my response is "much ado about nothing"

as I along with amber thought Mother Theresa deserved sooo much more than she got....it's the 10th anniv of her death too.....where's all the talk about that??

Lori said...

I was fond of Diana too.
What a beautiful lady she was.

BTW...love your new blog look.