Tuesday, November 20, 2007

paper vs. electronic

I've just heard about something, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I encourage you to follow the link(s) to read more about it for yourself. And I would love to hear your thoughts on this new gadget.

It's called the Amazon Kindle. It is a wireless reading device and is being touted as "revolutionary!" By following the link, you can read about it, watch a video describing it and giving it's features, see photos taken from several angles, read reviews from authors and users, see some of the books that are available for download, etc.

When I first saw it on Good Morning America this morning, I was skeptical. And part of me still is. I'm thinking I don't want to read a book through an electronic device. I love the look, feel and the smell of a book. I like turning the pages and knowing how far along in the story I am. I can't imagine reading a book in any form other than flipping through paper pages. But then I think about all the trees we would be saving if we didn't print as many books.

That leads me to some of the other benefits. There are some features that make me wonder if I might actually enjoy this reading device. Again, I encourage you to follow the link to read for yourself the product overview.

One feature that really appeals to me is being able to change the size of the font. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. They tout a new display technology that gives the reader a screen that is sharp and natural as reading ink on paper. I'd like to at least see this - sounds good.

You can "try out" a book before buying it. Read the beginning and decide if it's something you'd be interested in. It holds 200 books - or magazines, newspapers, and even blogs. Go read for yourself, because there's more.

So, let me know what you think. Would you read a book (or other printed media) through this device? Could you give up a book made of paper? I would really love to hear your opinion.

***************
link of the day:
http://www.freerice.com/
(thanks Susan)

11 comments:

Promise Christian Academy said...

I haven't checked the link yet, but my first thought is.... ugghhhh! LEEEE! I don't think I would have the same satisfaction of reading a classic novel like this! However, for 'new' writings, I may be able to swing it! But there are only a few good 'new' writings worth reading! The blog thing would be nice, though! What will 'they' (whoever that is?) come up with next???
Hilda Rebecca

jennifer said...

I was skeptical at first, but when we got our laptop, I became a slow fan. I read much through project Guttenburg and love it. Precisely for the reasons you listed. I noticed that I do need font for my eyes, not for everyone else so I can modify per need.

I do love to curl up in bed with a paperback, but I am slowly becoming resigned to how absolutely incredible technology is! Plus 200 books...save me lots of clutter, and more for school!
Jen

Lori said...

I haven't checked the link either.
I think I prefer having the paper book in front of me. As I like to read so much. I read in bed or in the afternoons at rest time...I cuddle up with a blanket and a good book.

Karen's Korner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen's Korner said...

I have worked in publishing for many years and periodically people come up with things like this (e-books, for example)and threaten the end of the printed book. However, I don't think it will ever happen. There are some things that it is great to have in an electronic format, such as forms you can download on Internet, but nothing beats the feel of a book, the smell of the paper, the design of the interior and the attractiveness of the cover.

Karen's Korner said...

Forgot to say I have tagged you for seven things.

MightyMom said...

ok, no, I won't be interested. HOWEVER
if they increase the size of the keys and buttons a bit this would've been great for my Grandmother whose hands were so crippled with arthritis she couldn't hold a book open or turn a page.

oh yeah, anyone remember The Plant? Stephen King's online only book? I printed it to read it...I can't get cozy with a screen......

Momma Roar said...

I went to the link - looks like a cool gadget (pricey too, lol)

I could see this being beneficial for many...but it would be hard for me to have it in my position. There is no reason I can't read the paper version

Looks like it would be a neat thing for college students - if you could download your college textbooks - then you wouldn't have to wait in those long lines at the bookstore each semester.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Barb said...

I didn't get to this on Tuesday!!

Hmmm -- I can't imagine not holding a book to read it. The written word on a piece of paper has so much power. There's so much "comfort" opening a wonderful book....

Obviously there are tremendous advantages for some people. Thanks for sharing something new.

Myrna said...

Amazing! I can see some really good applications for that. It would be a real help for someone who travels and wants/needs that access. It would also be great for college students, or people doing researd--if the needed books were available. Lots of good uses.

But there is still nothing like curling up with a REAL BOOK. Somehow this device would not seem the same.

When I see something like this I always think about conveniences and "gagets" that we depend on daily that were once amazing inventions at one time. For example--TV, recordings in any form, telephones, cell phones, compters, etc. How many of those were people skeptical of orreluctant to use? We may all be carrying these electronic books around before long!

I believe I will wait until the price goes down!

Melissa said...

First of all... love the new blog look ;)
Wow... what an interesting concept. Not sure how I feel here. I, like you, like to know where I'm at in a book. It holds 200 books, but, um, I've got way more than that around my house. How do you store them once you are done? If you reach your 200 max, do you delete one in order to get another book on there? Or do you just buy another Kindle??? I like my books. I like the way they feel in my hands... but who knows? Maybe I would love this too?? Something to think about...