Monday, November 5, 2007

more of Him

Welcome to MORE OF HIM Monday

You can encourage others or you may be encouraged by sharing part of your spiritual journey. If you post today under one of the following themes, please leave a link to your post on the Mr. Linky below.

Share a specific piece of scripture that has spoken to your this last week. Share what you feel God is telling you through that passage and how you plan to apply it to your life.
- or -


Share how God is working in your life right now. Is He telling you something or helping you through something? Do you hear His small, quiet voice? Or is He hitting you over the head with a two by four? Are you on a spiritual high? Or low? Share as you are led.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scripture speaks to me...

In Acts, chapter 16, there's a story of Paul and Silas sitting in a jail cell when an earthquake occurs allowing the doors to open and giving the prisoners a chance to escape. But they didn't. I always wondered about this story. I could never understand why Paul and Silas wouldn't take off. In my child or immature christian mind, I just didn't get why anyone would stay in a bad situation when they could escape from it.

But as you continue to read this story, you realize God had something in mind for Paul and Silas; he had a plan. And His plan unfolds in the verses that follow. Here is part of the story:

"The jailer got a torch and ran inside. Badly shaken, he collapsed in front of Paul and Silas. He led them out of the jail and asked, "Sirs, what do I have to do to be saved, to really live?" They said, "Put your entire trust in the Master Jesus. Then you'll live as you were meant to live—and everyone in your house included!" " Acts 16:29-31 The Message

If Paul and Silas had escaped when they had the chance, they wouldn't have been around to witness to the jailer. In fact, the jailer had contemplated suicide before he realized the prisoners hadn't escaped. By Paul and Silas staying put, they kept the jailer alive.

They not only talked the talk, they walked the walk. They believed in what they told the jailer; put your entire trust in the Jesus and you will be saved. My footnotes say that the Greek word for "salvation" has to do with deliverance for the future but also living a new kind of life in the here and now. That is why The Message translated "being saved" to "living as you were meant to live."

And that's the part of scripture that really spoke to me.

Don and I are faced with a situation that could change the course of our lives. He may lose his job. We've never had to go through this kind of situation. It's all new to us. It's scary. It could be exciting. It could change where we live and how we live financially. We're trying to keep an open mind about it and the consequences from it.

Most of the time we know God will take care of us - no matter what the future looks like. Other times, it's easy to doubt and worry. We try really hard not to fall into that trap. When I read this piece of scripture this week, I felt like God was telling me, "just trust Me - and you will live as you were meant to live." I needed to hear that. Thank you, Lord.

10 comments:

Karen's Korner said...

Thanks for sharing what you are going through. God is faithful and will not abandon you.
Check out my verse for More of Him on Mondays!

Susan said...

There are no mistakes with God. That thought and truth helps me a lot in times like you are facing now. Great insight in this scripture speaking to you on that level. May we all be able to "stay"!!!
Susan

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I understand having times when you are truly challenged to live out your faith. Seeking God's wisdom and filling your mind wiht truth like this will definately give you strength as you make your decision!

Pen of Jen said...

I am so thankful that you posted this today. You are so correct, if they fled, the jailer would not have his salvation, nor his family.

I think often about my own situation and what I can learn from it, and now I read that you are approaching something similar, and you have given me clarity.

Bill lost not only his job due to the accident but also the ability to perform as he used to, so the job market and our lives altered so much. What we lived on then to now is startling, but God has been right there with us. I see how he has used us a couple, as friends, as new neighbors, and as parents, but I never thought of it the way you wrote...so thank you so much,
Jennifer

... said...

thanks jen. your comment has made me think about the jailer. we don't know how he then went and lived his life. as a result of his time with paul and silas, he might have gone on to witness to hundreds of people - or make a difference in just one person's life. whatever it was, it was part of God's plans.

Barb said...

I love the way The Message has of clarifying or expanding the meaning of a verse.

I know you and Don will continue to live the "way you were meant to live." I'm positiv God has wonderful plans for you. You have been faithful throughout the years. God is faithful too.

Candace said...

This is my first visit to your blog. I know that God led me here this morning. I too am facing some challenges and hearing your story helped remind me to just trust Him. It is easier said than done unfortunately and I don't always achieve it. I will continue to try and know in my heart of hearts that he wants what is best for us all.

Lori said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry to hear you are going through a rough time.
So true..we can only put our trust in Him and he will get us through any trial or tribulation that we go through. I've had to tell myself that many times.

Lynne said...

Great post, Diana!

My situation is much like yours and after much thought and prayer, I have made peace with it.

God sees the big picture and I am excited about what lies ahead. Even though I've been at my job for many years, it never did feel "right" to me, and I can't say that I've been happy there.

That scripture is really speaking to me right now, especially "living as you were meant to live".

I know I haven't been doing that, and losing my job may just be the wake-up call that I need.

Momma Roar said...

I have a friend in the midst of a very hard time right now - and I must keep telling myself that God is in control. It totally doesn't make sense why it happens...

Praying that you will be able to endure and complete the task God is calling you to.