Monday, November 26, 2007

more of Him

Welcome to MORE OF HIM Monday

You can encourage others or you may be encouraged by sharing part of your spiritual journey. If you post today under one of the following themes, please leave a link to your post on the Mr. Linky below.

Share a specific piece of scripture that has spoken to your this last week. Share what you feel God is telling you through that passage and how you plan to apply it to your life.
- or -


Share how God is working in your life right now. Is He telling you something or helping you through something? Do you hear His small, quiet voice? Or is He hitting you over the head with a two by four? Are you on a spiritual high? Or low? Share as you are led.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scripture speaks to me...

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Phillipians 2:3-4

I read this passage at the beginning of my vacation and the words stuck with me in several situations. I would be watching a family (I'm a people watcher), trying to figure out the dynamics and found myself thinking thoughts that made me and my parenting skills feel superior. And then these words would come back to me.

Or there were times when I found myself in a situation where I maneuvered myself to be closer to the front of the line, or in a better position to see something, or something along those lines. Again, the words would come back like Jesus was whispering them directly to me. There were many times when I felt like I could feel His gentle breath in my ear.

I've come to the conclusion that it is not easy to consider others better than myself. And in trying to follow God's words, where do I draw the line in preventing myself from becoming a door mat? I know I will be working on the first, and reflecting and asking God's guidance on the second. I really feel like He has spoken to me through this passage and wants me to be more aware of how I treat certain people.

I did have a very specific event happen during vacation that continues to haunt my thoughts. I did not do a good job of putting someone before myself. I will write about it in length in an upcoming post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have found myself in similar situations too. Our human side always wants to feel superior to others. This is a great scripture to help keep us in line! I might put this back into my memory verse pile to think on it again! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Lori said...

I like that Phillipians verse. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Sometimes this can be so hard to do.
I am working at being better at this everyday. Thanks for sharing.

Love your new blog design. Very pretty.

Short Stop said...

OH, I struggle with this so much. I hate it when I compare myself to others...and hate it even more when I come away with a haughty heart. This verse is such a powerful statement of how God wants our hearts to be! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more!

BTW, I LOVE your new design. Love, love, love it!! :)

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea.

Thanks for the Phillipians verse. I needed to read that. I've been kind of selfish with the amount of time I spend on the computer. I need to refocus on my family.

Liza on Maui said...

I posted the verse we learned yesterday at church. May it encourage some of you today...

Barb said...

Love your new design.

Your scripture is a life-changing one. It goes against what feels natural, what culture and society has taught us. Your kind heart will help you live it out!

Thanks for sharing the scripture with the rest of it. I work at this too.

jennifer said...

Good scripture. I too have found myself in similar situations.

I said that I would join in and thank you because I have.

I love the new holiday theme!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Diana,

I think this is such an honest post. It is so hard to apply that verse daily and as we do, we see the depths of our sin and the great distance we truly have to go. But God is good and can continue to gently whisper in our ear!

Lynne said...

I find myself in those situations also, judging people I barely know. There were many occasions when I should have put someone before myself and didn't.

I will keep this passage in mind while doing my Christmas shopping-I'm sure it will come in handy!