Tuesday, October 2, 2007

tiny talk

First, let me say thank you to all who participated in or left supporting comments on the More of Him Monday. If you haven't checked out those who left their link, please do so. There's some pretty powerful stuff there.

I also have to say woo-hoo for the Rockies. We beat the Padres last night and we're going to the Wild Card play-offs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I'm so excited. Mary, of Not Before 7, hosts Tiny Talk Tuesday and I have never participated because I don't have any tiny talk in my house any more. It's all teenager talk and, frankly, it's not very interesting.

But today I do have some tiny talk to share. This was a conversation between me and a 2nd or 3rd grade boy from my church on Sunday after the service. In case you didn't know it, Don and I are the youth directors at this church. We often have the younger kids come into our room just wanting to hang out (you know, be like the big kids) or looking for candy. A lot of them know that we have candy as we use it for games and such.

So this little boy comes in asking me if I have any candy. I tell him no, that we ran out. He goes through my box and finds a baggie full of dimes (for a game we play) and asks if he can use the money to buy candy out of the candy machine that is present in the room. I didn't say yes or no right away. Instead we stood there at the machine and talked about our favorite kind of candy. He was so endearing that I agreed to buy a bag of candy if he would share it with the other younger kids that were hanging around. He agreed.

After leaving the room to pass out the candy he came back in to tell me how sad one kid was because he didn't get any candy. "Could we buy more," he asks. I tell him I don't have enough money left to buy another bag. He was deep in thought for about a second and then came up with this:

boy: I know... I can sneak into Mr. Cameron's room (children's ministry) and steal some money from the basket he has that's full of money.

me: Whoa! Let's think about this...

at which point I'm interrupted with...

boy: I do it all the time at home.

me: Let's talk about this. First, sneaking isn't really a good thing but do you know what's really not good? stealing! That's money that the other children have given to God. You could ask Mr. Cameron if he has a dime you could borrow, but let's not steal.

He thinks for another second.

boy: Okay. I'm going to go tell him I need my money back, that I shouldn't have given him as much as I did.

With that, he ran off - before I could say anything else. Maybe this is one of those times you needed to be there for it to be humorous. The kid was so sincere and didn't think anything of sneaking somewhere, stealing, or lying. I guess I need to go have a talk with Mr. Cameron.


oh.... and I have another tiny talk.

This one is from my niece who just turned 6. I called her for her birthday but she had just been put down to bed. Her mom, my sister, took the phone into her so I could wish her a happy birthday. As she goes into my niece's bedroom, she tells her aunt Diana is on the phone. Before taking the phone, she stretches out her hand and whispers to her mom, "I have a booger in my hand." Of course, my sister cracks up which made my niece crack up and I got a good chuckle out of it.

Maybe these aren't as funny as the tiny talk I usually read through Mary's links, but I always get a little jealous that I don't have the tiny kids to record the tiny talk. This was my chance. So thanks for letting me take it =]

***************
link of the day:
http://roxik.com/pictaps/

14 comments:

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Actually, I did find the story of the little boy way more sad than humerous. It is sad that he obviously didn't find a thing wrong with stealing. I know, he's a kid..but you start instilling that stuf when they are really small. Kind of scarey. Glad you were there to guide him. Maybe he needs some extra attention in Sunday School?

... said...

i know... the situation with the little boy is serious and i will be mentioning it to mr. cameron.

but i couldn't help but find the humor in it, too. here we were at church and i know mr. cameron has taught on all of the "wrong" things. part of it was his sweet little face and him not having a clue he said anything wrong - as only a young one can.

jennifer said...

I think that the first story is definitely tiny talk that is telling.

I am glad that you shared it, because you were correct to immediately think to share this with the childrens' leader.

Remember things do NOT always have to be cute. This is a lesson of foreshadowing if not corrected.

Thanks for joining in!
Jennifer

Momma Roar said...

I find with my own kids, even though I feel I've taught them the right thing, they are still young and don't always understand.

I'm glad you joined in on TTT!

And, sorry, but I'm cheering for the Phillies!!!!!!

Amber said...

Awww...Diana, one day when that boy get older he'll thank you for the lesson you taught him...maybe not in person, but he'll always remember it and thank you for it even in spirit:)

God Bless,
Amber

PS~ I'm sure you can even include cute things your children said years ago for a Tiny Talk:)

Melissa said...

Naw... those stories were funny :) Even though I wasn't there!

Barb said...

Cute "tiny talk." When I talked to Jenna she mentioned that she had gone to a girl scout meeting.

I asked her if she was going to become a brownie. She hesitated and then asked in a very suspicious tone, "how did you know that!?" Fun tiny talk.

I told her that Aunt Danielle had been a brownie.

Lynne said...

Cute stories. I'm a little sad for that boy, but I do see the humor. I'm sure he'll remember what you taught him.

Yankee fan here-maybe we'll see each other at the World Series?

Mary@notbefore7 said...

My children can get mixed up as they explore right and wrong. I think we have to remain lighthearted as we guide young ones along the way. There is humor to be found in their mixups.

Your neice is a crack up - I love how honest kids are.

I am so glad you were able to join in!

Lisa said...

I thought your niece's comment was very funny, and gross!

I did feel bad for that little boy too, hopefully he will find a more positive influence than the one he seems to have a home. At least he was at church! That's a start.

Anonymous said...

I love tiny talk and yours was too fun. Kids are so innocent...and honest to a fault, aren't they?

Loved the "booger". :)

Lori said...

Well I'm laughing anyway. Glad you joined in. I didn't mine posted. I have my ttt post started for next Tuesday.

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
onemotherslove said...

Thanks for joining us this week! I love your kitty picture of the day over there!!!