Monday, June 1, 2009

i could hardly believe my eyes

I stood there in disbelief. I just couldn't wrap my mind around what I was seeing. Here's what caught my eye as I walked down the aisle in my neighborhood T*rget.


What's the big deal you may ask? They're just bras. And now you're wondering why I'm posting pictures of bras on my family friendly blog. Well, these aren't ordinary bras, and that is the only reason why I'm posting pictures.


You see, even though these bras look like something you or I (maybe not) or our teenage daughters might wear, they are for a different age group. And that's what gave me pause. They were in the young girls section. These bright, colorful, padded bras that look like they should be worn by a teenager or young adult, are being sold to 5-12 year olds.

I don't know, maybe it's been too long since my daughter was this age. Maybe this is what all the 6 year olds are wearing nowadays. I just have a concern about growing up our young girls too fast and this seems like it would only add to this problem. It's not as big of a deal for a 12 year old, but 5 or 6? Or even 7 or 8? C'mon, really?

If I was a young girl and I saw these eye appealing apparel in my section of the store, I'm sure I would be begging my mom for one - even if I were too young to be wearing one. I'm sure I'd have a friend or two who were wearing one which makes it even more appealing.

So what do you think? Are our young girls too young to be wearing these bras?

13 comments:

Momma Roar said...

Gosh, my daughter is 4 1/2 and I haven't even given such things any thought yet...ugh! I'm sure we'll be buying from the white cotton section! :-)

Susan said...

YES!!!!
Susan

Jamey said...

Absolutely!!! My daughter is only 6 but we won't be buying those kind of bras until she is 16 or more. I am a little old fashioned when it comes to those kind of things though. We don't do belly shirts, really short shorts, or bikinis either. Some of the stuff they make for little girls these days is really offensive. Have you seen the thongs in the underwear section? For LITTLE girls, I mean come on!! I'll be shopping in the same section as Momma Roar for white cotton :)

Karen said...

My daughter is 12 and buying a bra for her is a challenge. I agree, the styles are ridiculous. Whatever happened to the little white training bras we had? It's almost impossible to find a plain bra to wear under her white soccer shirts. The plain panties are easier to find, but you have to get past all the flirty boy briefs and bikinis. What are we doing to our daughters?

MightyMom said...

If my 11 year old has reason to need a bra (can anyone say childhood obesity?) and wants one that's bright pink, I"m okay with that.....BUT it can't show through her top. aha.

padding? uh, no. I don't wear padding, neither do you missy.

and UNDERWIRE? yikes! why torture yourself?

but here's the real deal...what SIZES were they? I mean no 5 year old is gonna fit in a 34B ya know?

course I don't even like tube tops on toddlers...so go figure.

Karen said...

YA THINK???
Are you sure they were in that age section?
Now I have to go to Target and see if ours is the same.
That is ridiculous.
Why do people push sex? Why can we just leave it alone as something sacred between a man and a woman? It just really, royally, #*#!*@#* me off!
And I didn't even have girls! But there is no way I'd ever, ever buy my daughter a bra until she NEEDS it.
Geez! When I was in elementary school, girls who wore bras were laughed at!!! It was a horrible thing to have to wear. Now? What are people thinking?

Short Stop said...

I was on the G.apKids website the other day looking for a little girl's gift, and saw a STRING BIKINI!!!!! It was for sizes 4-preteen. 4 years old? 8 years old?

I was totally appauled. Maybe people think that's cute, but I'm sorry, having three boys, I DO NOT want them looking at little girls their age in string bikinis.

Basically - I completely agree. Ridiculous.

... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
... said...

sizes: these were tiny. i know the pictures make them look like regular sizes but they're not. the smallest was only 12" around.

thongs for little girls... ugh!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

we are smack dab in the middle of a situation dealing with this VERY topic. our daughter just finished FIRST grade. and while she has no interest in matters of the chest, she has a classmate that is infatuated with such topics. even showing her own to the girls in her class while in the bathroom. i was horrified!

PURITY. we are obligated to protect it for our children at all costs.

Maxine said...

You can't be serious. What will be next. Target you said? wow.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, it's not just undergarments that are the problem. Some outfits make 6 year-olds out to looks like mini hookers. It's ridiculous. I like my little girl looking like a little girl. She'll have her whole life to wear grown-up clothes. For now, she gets to wear cute, kid things and enjoy her young life.

On a different note....I'm hosting a blog carnival this week with a give-away. I'd love to have you play along. Stop by and check it out. It's open to all!

-FringeGirl

Mary@notbefore7 said...

My girls will be steered AWAY from such bras - padding is ridiculous!!!!

That is so crazy.