Sunday, June 28, 2009

corny but true

"There's an element of truth in every idea that lasts long enough to be called corny." ~Irving Berlin

The younger we are, the more likely we are to dismiss the past as being old-fashioned and irrelevant. The older we are, the more likely we are to see wisdom and virtue in "the good old days."

We can't always predict, in our youth, which ideas will prove to have the most-lasting merit. On the other hnd, as the years pass, we may begin to overvalue some ideas simply because they remind us of when we are younger. The challenge is not reject ideas simply because they seem corny or to embrace ideas simply because they are nostalgic.

Which ideas from my youth are still good today? And which should I let go of?

taken from The Daily Book of Positive Quotations by Linda Picone

5 comments:

janice said...

I had to read this three times before I could get what it was saying. HAHA

But I agree with you. Some times I get stuck on something only because it's what I learned when I was younger. This gives me some food for thought today.

bcriminger said...

I have been learning (over and over again) that teaching principals need to adapt and change. What my teachers did 10 years ago will not work or oftentimes has been proven to be an inefficient practice. Manners will always remain true.

Anonymous said...

This is a thinking post. Thanks for the challenge! Every so often I like to take some time and reflect on my life...see if what I do is just out of habit, etc.

Good post.
-FringeGirl

Momma Roar said...

We just saw the movie Up yesterday and it popped into my head when I read it - just thinking about the main character and how he was holding onto everything from the past instead of living in the present - and when he did, he found much more enjoyment.

I wonder what things I'm still holding on to...

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Interesting quote. Not sure I qualify as old enough to answer yet...*wink

I am sure we all hold on to something that was "better" the way it was.