Friday, June 19, 2009

give yourself a gift

...

Two weeks ago I posted an Aloha Friday question about getting pedicures. I wrote about how I felt pedicures were a way I nurtured myself, and I got a lot of comments that confirmed that many give themselves this small gift on a regular basis.

My Aloha Friday question today is:

How do you nurture yourself?

I hope women realize how important it is to nurture themselves in some way. It doesn't have to be anything big or expensive, but taking the time to do something that feeds your soul and tells you that you are important.

I especially think this is critical while we're mothers of young children. Don't get me wrong; being a mother is the most important thing we can do. But we need to take breaks away from our children to recharge our batteries and give us a better perspective on what we're doing. Nurturing ourselves reminds us that we are more than just a mother. We are individuals, we are wives, we are sisters, we are friends.

If you don't take time for yourself, I encourage you to do so. Take a walk, read a book, put headphones on and listen to a few songs without being interrupted, join a Bunko group. There are endless ways to step out of your normal, daily routine and do something that says, "I matter!"

12 comments:

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

Well (besides the obvious pedicures) I also do Yoga twice a week and muscle conditioning twice a week and my power walks as often as possible. I also am able to golf more now that I work at home and am able to juggle my schedule to work for me! I love reading several little books I have with short, every day prayers for women - they always inspire me! Happy Friday to all!

Heather said...

I love to make a cup of decaf coffee with lots of milk & just hide out for a bit in the afternoon!

Night Owl Mama said...

THIS is so TRUE!
Thats why I'm up til 4am I get my me time after my children finally go to bed at 2am uugh!

Colette S said...

I don't. I should. I must.

Anonymous said...

I like to read. It's very relaxing for me.

-FringeGirl

MightyMom said...

I blog
I read
I laugh
I eat fast food about once a week
I demand snuggles and steal them when they're not offered.


every time I "go to the potty" I always stop and rub my face on the warm soft belly of whichever kitty is hiding out on my bed.
I do this so often that Mr Boots rolls on his back when he sees me coming!!

I turn on music and make up dances to it with the kids! You should see the dances we've got to Mozart!!

did I mention that I laugh? at everything.

Anonymous said...

being a working mom is really a tough job. at the end of the day, i like to pamper myself with a warm bath, and a silky-sweet smelling lotion. to calm my nerves, i either emerse myself in a good book or listen to soothing music. a glass of merlot also usually does the trick (wink)

once a month, i try to have a full body massage :)

Unknown said...

Nurturing myself is working out by myself. There is nothing I love more than an early-morning bike ride or walk to start my day!

Drahdrah said...

I would go out for dinner and a movie (without baby). Maybe I'd go wild and go for coffee and dessert afterwords .

Just Mom said...

I like to watch the sun rise while sipping my first mug of coffee.

Melissa said...

This is something that I really struggle with... I try to read as much as I can and every once in awhile I'll make a treat just for me. I'm hoping that once all the kids are in school (this fall) that I'll feel like I can start working out a couple of times each week at the gym.....

bcriminger said...

I will take an hour out of my Friday or Saturday mornings in the summer to garage sale, I enjoy reading, and have recently taken to exercising on a more regular basis (although that is more for the self esteem boost. I think the thing that makes me feel most pampered is taking a half hour to 45 minutes to actually do something with my hair and makeup (at least in the summertime). But once school starts up, these will be drastically reduced.