Monday, September 21, 2009

too close for comfort

I know a lot of people don't listen to or read the news anymore. I can't really blame them. It can all be very negative and overwhelming. But there's a major story being reported right now about a man who is accused of being a ringleader to a terrorist group, plotting to plant explosives on transit lines here in the states.

Najibullah Zazi was born in Afghanistan, lived for some time in Pakistan and has been a U.S. resident for the past 10 years. I won't go into all the details here, but you can read more about him and what has been reported in the news here and here.

You may have heard or noticed that this man's questioning and arrest has taken place here in Denver. To be more exact, here in Aurora (where I live). To be even more precise, this accused terrorist lives right down the street from me. I mean, RIGHT DOWN THE STREET.

I drive by the apartments where he resides on a nearly daily basis. The day they searched his apartment (which took the whole day), they didn't release the kids from the local middle school, at the end of their day, because they didn't want the students to go home to that apartment complex. This was the same school I worked at last year. I know some of these students.

I find all of this disturbing; a little too close for comfort. I find any report on terrorism disturbing and scary. It makes it even scarier that this guy lives in my neighborhood, that he may shop in the same grocery store as I, that he may eat in the same restaurants or spend time in my beloved plaza. I continue to watch the news, wishing it wasn't happening in my backyard, but it is. It makes me realize that this kind of thing can happen anywhere. And it is... here!

11 comments:

MightyMom said...

wish I could offer you words of encouragement but I'm all out.

folks have forgotten 9/11/01...they want a "day of public service" instead.

There are large insidious groups of people who want America dismembered. And the wolves are not at our door...they're under our beds...waiting for us to drift back to sleep.

Susan said...

Yes, Diana, and we ALL better wake up to that fact.....especially our government in D.C. and plans to "talk to the enemy".

"For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Ecclesiastes 12:14

Praise God our trust and faith is wholy in GOD & JESUS and not in man.
Susan

Karen said...

Geez, and I was thinking it was too close because it's right here in my state. Those poor kids. What a scarey thing for them.

Anonymous said...

It is a little disturbing, isn't it? My stepson spent his middle school and high school years right down the street from that complex as well. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but having all this go on right down the road is still freaky...

Anonymous said...

That is frightening! You just never know...

Thank God they 'found him out'.

-FringeGirl

Subvet said...

Exercise your 2nd Amendment rights while you can, there may come a time when you'll be thankful for them.

nancy said...

Hi Diana,
Your post is disturbing, but not surprising. I have my own theories on how terror affects us, but I won't go into it here. I so agree with what MightyMom has said about the wolves under the bed, "waiting for us to drift back to sleep". Profound.
These are very precarious times for us and we can't just ignore the very present danger, but we also can't let it take away our faith, our joy, our hope. God has a plan and we can only pray for the fulfillment of His purpose and do our best to cooperate with Him as He leads us.
I must admit, it sounds like a tightrope act, and I guess it is. Thanks be to God, He's got hold of the net.
I hear you have some snow out there already!
Love,
Nancy

barb/mom said...

jeepers!!! It is definitely scary.

Jamey said...

I thought of you when this story aired and wondered if he lived by you. SCARY!!! It truly can happen anywhere. I am glad they caught him, unfortunately there are so many of "him" out there. One less on the streets of the US I guess.

Unknown said...

Yea...that is really scary so close to home - which is supposed to be your safe haven. I'm sorry that you're not feeling so secure right now and hope something comes of the investigation to get him out of your neighborhood, and fast.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Wow Diana. That is scary. It is always frightening when the news "out there" hits so close to home.

It was nice catching up over here today. your photography continues to be WONDERFUL! I love it!

Thank you for all your kind words on my blog. I am not good these days at visiting and responding, but I do so appreciate them. Life will give a little more free time eventually, but for now, I am not around as much.

I just wanted to take a moment and "see" how you were and say hello and thank you for your kind words so often!