Thursday, September 10, 2009

stuffed bears, tigers, and dogs

Did you know that yesterday, September 9th, was National Teddy Bear Day? No? I would guess not too many marked that day on their calendar. The only reason I know this is because I read it on a blog. It made me curious so I googled 'National Days" and found that there is a purported official list of National Days. Crazy. Some of them are quite humorous.

*side note: I love google. I can't imagine life without it.

Then I started thinking about teddy bears. Specifically, teddy bears from my childhood past. I'm sure I had many because a normal childhood would be full of teddy bears. In my mind, I can see each of my children's teddy bears. I know Danielle still has hers. She probably has every stuffed animal she has ever owned. She loves stuffed toys and can't part with them. She's 21 and I have to talk her out of buying them.

Sorry, I've become sidetracked. Back to the subject at hand... my teddy bears....

Either my childhood wasn't normal or my memory is getting worse (which it is). The only teddy bear I remember having was one that one of my grandmothers either crocheted or knitted. I liked that teddy bear but it wasn't a special childhood friend like a child's teddy bear is supposed to be.

I do remember having a couple of special stuffed animals. One was a tiger. I remember having him in second grade and I took him everywhere. His pose was him laying on his side and I would pretend he was my pet tiger. I wonder what ever happened to him.

The second plush toy I loved was a Snoopy Dog (from the Peanuts collection). My best friend in 6th grade had one and I just had to have one, too. The four of us had many fun sleepovers together. I may still have this toy. I'll have to look in my cedar chest.

How about you? Do you remember having a favorite stuffed toy? Was it a teddy bear?

7 comments:

Karen said...

I had a Teddy, a rather large one. I remember him all fluffy and brand new, sitting beneath the Christmas tree. It was only a few years ago that he "departed" because he was so worn, there was no place left to stitch him so the stuffing would stay in.

MightyMom said...

a shelf in the boys' room holds what's left of my childhood stuffed animal collection...including 2 dolls that my grandmother made me a triangle my mom made and a frog that I latch hooked as a 3rd grader.....

I need to get them out of THE BOYS' room...but I just can't quite part with them......

Melissa said...

I had a Pooh Bear that I took everywhere. I still have it and it's one beat up little critter! But I love him :)

Anonymous said...

I still have my favorite stuffed bear from when I was a kid. That bear traveled all over the world with us -- and has the flattened nose to prove it. (Flattened because it was stuffed in so many suitcases!)

Jamey said...

I didn't have a teddy bear but I had a favorite doll that my mom made me. Maybe I'll post pictures of it next week. She was crafty and the doll is amazing! I named her Chris after my favorite aunt. I had tons of stuffed animals as a kid and still have some of them that were my favorites. Now I want to dig them out from underneath the stairs and look at them all :)

Momma Roar said...

Ahh, that makes so much sense now! Our litle town has "Teddy Bear Day in the Park" this weekend. They've had it for I don't even know how many years - but it was always in the beginning of Sept!! LOL

My boys each have a bear they sleep with - Beary for Q and Bunny-Bear for C. E sleeps with a hedgehog - stuffed, of course! LOL

MightyMom said...

for information about the weeping angel or the angel of grief statue that I posted...

I found it here, and she explains the statue's history in the comments.

http://adriennescatholiccorner.blogspot.com/2009/09/project-2996-remembering-victims-of-911.html