Saturday, November 29, 2008

i did go out this weekend

It's tradition for my family to see one of the many movies that comes out during the Thanksgiving weekend. We kept that tradition going this year seeing the movie Australia on Thanksgiving night.

All four of us enjoyed this movie, which doesn't always happen. It's an epic story that includes history, love, war, and the culture of the aborigines of Australia during the 1930s and 40s. I loved it because it's a great story that kept me interested for all 2 hours and 45 minutes. It was well done as it made me feel all the emotions portrayed on the screen. I even cried. I would recommend this movie to anybody. (rated PG-13)

Dani and I then went to another movie on Friday. This one I can't recommend to everyone even though I enjoyed it. It's the movie Twilight, which is based on Stephanie Meyer's top selling book by the same name. Twilight is the first book in a series of four all based on a love story between a normal teenage girl and a boy who is a vampire.

I have not read the books, although Dani is on the fourth one. I know how incredibly popular they are with the teenage and young adult crowd, but I haven't had any desire to read about vampires. As much as Danielle has tried to get me to read the series, I've consistently said no.

She saw the movie at midnight when it came out last week, along with hundreds of other eager book readers, but since she is such a fan of the books and loved the movie, she wanted to see it again. She kept asking me to go with her. I finally relented and agreed to go see the movie with her, and guess what.... I actually liked it.

I don't know if I should be ashamed of that or not, but I must be honest and say that not only did I like it, but I'm now interested in the story enough to be contemplating reading the books. Oh my! That's the first time I've said that out loud. Stay tuned....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I soooooo wanted to see Australia last weekend and reading your review makes me want to see it even more.

As for Twilight? Read the books. Seriously. They are really well written and the sentiments were just not captured on film!

Christine said...

I don't like vampires. They creep me out.I won't go cause I don't want to start liking them. LOL Does that make any sense?

Jen - Queen of Poo said...

lol! I'm boycotting the books, just because everyone else in the world has read them, but I must admit I'm getting curiouser and curiouser.

MightyMom said...

well a friend of mine who loved the books hates that movie so go figure! glad you had a good weekend!

kel said...

You should totally read the twilight books! I loved the books, but I didn't like the movie!
I can't wait to see Australia! I love epic movies like that!