Thursday, May 1, 2008

my apologies...

I assumed when I wrote the below post that most Christians would have known about the National Day of Prayer. I shouldn't assume such things. My bad.

I think it's sad that most people have heard of such days as Grandparent's Day and Secretary's Day and we celebrate days like National Nurses Day or National Clergy Recognition Day, but a day as important as the National Day of Prayer is not well known or publicized. Maybe it's because it's a day designated by the U.S. Congress and not Hallmark.

My link of the day on the below post was for the site of the National Day of Prayer Task Force. It's the official site for this day and gives you a lot of information on what the day is and how you can participate - even a single pray-er sitting in your own home. I also found the background information on Wikipedia interesting.

So, now I'd like to know if you had heard of the National Day of Prayer or knew what is was. And if you had/have any plans to participate in any way.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I hadn't heard anything about it... thank you so much for sharing the info!!

Unknown said...

I agree with you about the Hallmark statement! Prayer can only be commercialized so much.

Susan said...

I'm like you, and can't believe more people don't know and celebrate this. It is a big thing here in Tulsa and area. Our church is holding a city wide service tonight at 7 in honor of this and we are going.

I sent you an e-mail and haven't heard back from you.
Susan

Unknown said...

"Maybe it's because it's a day designated by the U.S. Congress and not Hallmark."

Nicely said! Kudos!

PS. I had no idea this existed, however, I don' read newspapers or watch TV. I'm pretty oblivious, so much so that I usually don't even know it's Easter or Mother's Day till two days before :) Forget Librarian Day or Administrative Day - I had no idea those thing existed.

MightyMom said...

My small town has an ecumenical service every year in the town square put on by our Ministerial Alliance (made up of the pastors of most of the churches in town).....the last 2 years my pastor was the "speaker/leader" of the service. So yes, I knew about it, but no I worked and could not attend.