Thursday, May 21, 2009

DC... day 1... revisited


Most of our first day in DC was spent on the top of a double-decker bus as it toured the hot spots of the district. It was a great way to see the sights - from the height we were at and such a wide variety.

The bus took us through some of the side streets of the downtown area where we saw such sites as the Ford theater, where President Lincoln was shot, and the National Cathedral where many presidents have attended church. We drove down the small, but quaint streets of Georgetown and through the Arlington Cemetery.

Of course, we drove around the National Mall where the Capitol building flanks one end, the Lincoln Memorial the other, and the Washington Monument in the middle. Surrounding and within the mall are so many interesting buildings - beautiful buildings. I love architecture and the buildings in this area are absolutely awe-inspiring.

The bus tour was one where we could hop off and on as much as we wanted, and the pass was good for three days. I would highly recommend this tour as a way to see the sights and get a good overall view of the area. We hopped off in Georgetown to enjoy the atmosphere and eat a quick lunch. We then hopped off a couple of stops before the end to tour the National Archives.

The National Archives is where a lot of important documents are kept, including the originals of the Magna Carta, the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Constitution. It's a beautiful building and it was a thrill for both Dani and I to be able to view such important documents - definitely a highlight of the trip.

It was a great day and one that we thoroughly enjoyed. We went back to our hotel exhausted but anxious for our next day, when we had our visit to the Holocaust museum planned.

You can click on the above collage to get a better view of the photos.

8 comments:

barb said...

What a fantastic experience! Thanks for the pics.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Another great quote: a keeper!

Danielle! said...

what about the declaration of independence? that was there too!

Lori said...

Love the pictures. I bet the tour via the double decker bus was a great way to see the sites.

Janice said...

It looks like an amazing trip. I went as a teenager but haven't been back since. Maybe I will get back there some day.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

YIPPEE! What a great way to do it!

MightyMom said...

oooo thanks for the tip about the bus tour! sounds WONDERFUL!!

Jamey said...

I bet that tour was amazing! Great pictures! This is one place that I would really love to take my kids as they get just a little older. I myself would really love to go and see all the history!

Short Stop said...

Oooh, this sounds like a GREAT way to see everything. We've never done a bus tour, but I can see why it would be really valuable - especially if you're trying to see a lot of the city.

I LOVE Georgetown. Jason and I have had some incredibly romantic dates there.