Monday, March 24, 2008

it's about people

Well, Easter is over. We had a nice Easter where after church, I actually made a nice dinner for the family. This doesn't always happen. Because we don't have family here, there have been many years where we go out to dinner. But this year I decided to cook, and it was very nice.

And Lent is over. This year's Lent period was different than previous years, where I have usually given up something for the 40+ days. This year I tried something new and I'm not really sure it worked out to the degree I had wished.

I wanted to give more of myself in some tangible way. My idea was to do some kind of good deed or interact with someone in a personal way - every day! I can safely say that I did not do this every day. But there were days that God showed me things I could do and people He wanted me to come in contact with.

About half way through Lent, I adopted the theme, it's about people. I wanted to feel like my thoughts and actions should be about other people and not about me, about my wants, or about material things. And it was usually something that stretched me a bit or where I had to sacrifice my time or comfort.

I'll be honest, there were times it would have been easier to look beyond the need, to ignore that small voice of God asking me to do something, to stay sitting on my couch playing Scrabulous on Facebook. But it got easier because I realized I was the one that was always blessed.

making it about people = blessings for all

Even though Lent didn't turn out exactly as I had planned, I feel like it was a good and a blessed time with God. I will continue my personal campaign, it's about people, and continue to look for the small ways in which I can serve others. That's one more way of having more of Him in my life.

visit Heather at Not a DIY Life for more More of HIM

***************
link of the day:
http://www.lostamerica.com/roadside.html

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking of you on Friday and wondering how your commitment to good deeds was going. I think you can say it was a success if you were more consistent in responding to God's leading.

I love the "it's about people" phrase. When it becomes about us, that's when we get things messed up.

Thanks so much for sharing, Diana!

Susan said...

I'm so impressed with your doing this Diana. Something I should try and make an effort to do myself. It is so easy to get caught up with me and mine, especially when we are surrounded and blessed with family and friends that we enjoy doing for and with. That is easy......going beyond that gets more difficult!!!!

I love yours "it's about people". It really is. Several years ago God really began to deal with me that next too HIM what mattered were our family (both natural and Church) and friends and RELATIONSHIP.
Susan

Just Mom said...

I loved that you tried to focus on others during Lent.

I'm also glad you realized that just because Lent is over it doesn't mean you can't continue with your Lenten vow.

Great work, Diana.

Anonymous said...

Your so right It is all about people. We need to show the love of Jesus to them and bring as many as we can to Him:) Diana you ROCK my friend:)
love ya,
Deb

j said...

What a wonderful commitment - All about people! I enjoyed your post.

Be blessed.

Jennifer

sharon brobst said...

It's about the people. It IS about the people. It is about the PEOPLE!

Just in case your wondering...I'm trying to drill this truth in my head! Thanks Diana for the reminder... I really needed to read this today!

Barb said...

Good e.e.cummings quote.

The very fact that you choose to focus on peope during Lent was admirable. And those kinds of action always have "ripples" of blessings.

God bless you!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I am so glad you shared this! What a wonderful Lenten committment and I can see that God really used it in your life.

This is definitely a Lent committment for you to continue.

God Bless!