Tuesday, April 28, 2009

randomness

1. I woke up to 4" of snow yesterday (Monday). It took a lot of us Denverites by surprise. What didn't surprise us was that it had all melted by the afternoon.

2. In class today, I had the opportunity to read with many 6th graders. I'm happy to say that they read much better than I expected after knowing how poor some of my 8th graders read (remember this post). I don't know why there would be such a difference and of course, it could have just been the randomness of the two groups (6th graders and 8th graders). It just made me happy and restored a little of my faith in the system.

3. I can't believe we're at the end of April. Jake informed me last weekend that he'll be moving out of his dorm and back home NEXT week! What!! It was just yesterday that we moved him into his dorm.

4. May is going to be a very busy month. May is always a busy month. And then I had to go and stick a pleasure trip into the middle of it. What was I thinking? .... that there was no other time to do it.

5. Is the swine flu epidemic worrying anyone? I'm not a worrier by nature, but this thing is kinda scary. I'm praying that it will be kept under control. I'm also trying not to get swept up in all the media coverage. It gets to be overwhelming.

6. A young friend of ours lost her mother this past weekend in a car accident. When something like that happens, I can't help but reflect on how fragile life is and how we need to treat each day as a gift. Give a hug today to those you love. And don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

6 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

only scared me because i had a gradeschooler come home with a fever, and sore throat that SAME DAY! besides, it sounds so yicky.

so, are you excited about the college child returning...or not?

Melissa said...

Snow is never a good thing... ever!

May isn't going to be too busy for us, but June is probably going to kill me!!

I have worried a little bit about that flu. We were thinking of heading to San Diego this weekend, but that's where some of the cases have been. I think we'll wait on that trip for now... I too am trying not to get caught up in the media coverage, but that's so hard!

Janice said...

I am finding myself more and more petrified about the swine flu. I know it's probably irrational of me, but I can't help it.

Just Mom said...

1) Spring snow is nice; it melts fast.

2) YAY!

3) :-O

4) Yup, it'll be a busy month here too. (Of course, we don't have a pleasure trip planned.)

5) Not really, but I guess it should worry me. All I've been doing is reading the CDC web site and watching my son for symptoms. I don't watch the news about it because TV news tends to hype things up just a tad -- mostly unintentionally due to reporters' own concerns, but it does get hyped.

6) My condolences. The niece of a friend of mine lost her baby this week. It was her first pregnancy and she was only seven months along.

Yes, stop and smell the roses and give those loved ones a hug.

Jamey said...

The swine flu does make me nervous. I'm not sure if it's because I have three school aged kids or because I am a nurse. My kids hate the fact that I am a nurse. My oldest is always telling me I know too much and worry too much! I cannot believe it's almost May either. It is a terribly busy month with school getting out and last minute field trips and school plays and field days!! And we too have a pleasure trip planned. It involves all 5 of us, roller coasters, zoos, aquariums, museums, and the Mall of America....I can't wait!!

MightyMom said...

1) geez! snow??
2) hooray!
3) YIKES!!
4) wasn't it just New Years?? where've I been??
5) absolutely NOT. those that have died are the same group that can/do die from the common cold....ie the folks who don't have access to healthcare/refuse to see the MD till it's too late. Same as with most other illnesses known to western medicine...get sick--see doctor--take medicine--get better. it's all hype. MRSA is much scarier and you never hear about it!!
6) Amen! every day is a blessing to be lived and loved to its fullest.