1. I woke up to 4" of snow yesterday (Monday). It took a lot of us Denverites by surprise. What didn't surprise us was that it had all melted by the afternoon.
2. In class today, I had the opportunity to read with many 6th graders. I'm happy to say that they read much better than I expected after knowing how poor some of my 8th graders read (remember this post). I don't know why there would be such a difference and of course, it could have just been the randomness of the two groups (6th graders and 8th graders). It just made me happy and restored a little of my faith in the system.
3. I can't believe we're at the end of April. Jake informed me last weekend that he'll be moving out of his dorm and back home NEXT week! What!! It was just yesterday that we moved him into his dorm.
4. May is going to be a very busy month. May is always a busy month. And then I had to go and stick a pleasure trip into the middle of it. What was I thinking? .... that there was no other time to do it.
5. Is the swine flu epidemic worrying anyone? I'm not a worrier by nature, but this thing is kinda scary. I'm praying that it will be kept under control. I'm also trying not to get swept up in all the media coverage. It gets to be overwhelming.
6. A young friend of ours lost her mother this past weekend in a car accident. When something like that happens, I can't help but reflect on how fragile life is and how we need to treat each day as a gift. Give a hug today to those you love. And don't forget to stop and smell the roses.